10 Roofing Maintenance Tips For The Summer
Summer time is fast-approaching. A lot of people love the summer, but you know who doesn’t love the summer? Your roof!
Your roof is not a happy camper during those blazing hot days when the sun is beating down relentlessly. There is something you can do though. Aside from keeping your local roofing contractor on speed dial, consider following these tips to help your roof survive during the summer.
1) Check your gutters and spouts. This might sound weird, but humor us. If your spouts aren’t cleaned out, there tends to be blockages. This will prevent the water from flowing freely. Do yourself a favor and check them.
2) When walking across your roof, always have a buddy nearby. The heat can breakdown the structure. You could end up getting hurt. Don’t take the chance.
3) Check your roof for missing shingles and things of this nature. Lack of shingles will prevent your home from being cooled properly. Don’t take the chance. If you notice some missing shingles, give us a call right away.
4) Check your fans. Are they working properly? A cracked or broken fan will spell disaster to your home and roof. Get the fans checked immediately.
5) When you are on the roof, take pictures. It’s good to have before and after pictures taken. This way you can take care of changes, as they occur. Do you have a question about some of the pictures? Give us a call.
6) Small creatures can do tons of damage to your home and roof. Block the pathways right away.
7) Keep on top of the mold situation. If you feel that mold might be developing, call us right away. We can let you know for sure.
8) Are your sealants up to par? Check them out, all of them. Your sealants secure everything. A cracked sealant will spell disaster.
9) Look at your overhangs. Do they have water stains on them? This is not a good sign. Have them looked at right away.
Taking Care Of The Situation
All of these steps are necessary to keep your roof in proper condition. Even the smallest damage can cause issues. This is why you will need us to help you. We are just a phone call away.
If you are looking to do the maintenance yourself, keep these simple tips in mind.
- Always bring a buddy with you. We mentioned this above. It’s so simple, but so important.
- Always know where you are stepping. Why? You don’t want to be the reason your roof is in even worse shape. Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Be safe, bring a ladder with you. Do this even for the small jobs.
- Get yourself some safety equipment. It’s better to be safe than sorry.